Monday, March 13, 2006

Kool aid rules!

Ok I had to do it, everyone else talks about it and so I had to try it for myself. I dyed my own yarn with kool aid!
here are the colors that I tried. Now I have not done this before so I really didn't "know" what I was doing. I read about several different methods and then ended up doing my own thing.
I used Paton's Classic Wool in Aran and rolled two equal balls and then decided that I wanted 3 colors so pulled from both balls and made a 3rd. I mixed 2 packages of each cooler in water and then put the balls in the bowls. I did add a bit of vinegar to each batch to help set the colors (my daughter thought it was Easter already).
Here's the finished version. Now this was my first time and I learned a couple of things. First I will not dye the yarn in balls because that just means the middle of the ball doesn't get as much color...duh knew that! I was going to change but decided to heck with it because since this was my 1st time I could do things wrong and learn, and second I would like that colors to be intermitted? (is that the word I'm thinking of?) with each other and not just one and then the next and so on. So I will experiment again and post thos results. I do like how the colors turned out though and can't wait to use the yarn, it was a bit tricky working with wet wool and trying to keep it from getting tangled up...good times!

I'll post pictures of the new tote I started on Friday tomorrow.

Listening to: You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
194.3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ronnie,
The colors look wonderful!

You can use a yarn swift to "hank" the yarn for better saturation. Lay it flat (with plastic underneath) and then use a paint brush to apply the flavors/colors. This will create the variegated look ... it smells great, huh? :)
~Dee

Anonymous said...

Very cool!
Happy Hooking CP:)

elaine.triquetra said...

I'd like to try your kool aid thing, but do I have to use wool? Also, I think getting a varigated result would be awesome! But, duh... How do you dry the yarn?